Heads Up on Dealing with Holiday Hazards

Heads Up on Dealing with Holiday Hazards

With all the hustle and bustle during this time of year, don't forget to slow down and take a few extra precautions to ensure that your favorite furry companion stays safe amidst all the holiday happenings!Thinking ahead and having a few simple remedies on hand can help avoid holiday hazards.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! With all the hustle and bustle during this time of year, don't forget to slow down and take a few extra precautions to ensure that your favorite furry companion stays safe amidst all the holiday happenings!

Holiday Decorating

Trimming the tree, lighting the candles, and putting out the presents are part of the season, but they can also be part of the problem for a pet.

  • Ornaments - When decorating your tree, be aware that ornaments can be made of toxic plastic or glass that can be harmful if ingested.
  • Tinsel - This shiny decoration can also be toxic and can bind in the intestines, causing a blockage.
  • Lights - Sparkling lights are attractive to our pets (and people, that's why we love them!) and can be very dangerous if ingested or can cause shock if bitten. Make sure to keep an eye on all of those wires and cords when decorating.
  • Holiday Plants -
    • Poinsettias have traditionally been known to cause harm to pets. While it is not advised for pets to consume these plants, it is actually not as harmful as once believed. They can cause some vomiting and oral irritation, but are generally not life threatening.
    • Mistletoe, however, is highly toxic and should not be consumed by any pets. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal and cardiovascular problems, shock, and death within hours of ingestion.
    • Holly can also cause serious irritation, including vomiting and diarrhea if consumed, and should be put out of our pet's reach.
  • Gift Wrap - Like tinsel, gift wrap can be toxic to pets and cause intestinal blockage if consumed.

Food

Similar to Thanksgiving, cooked bones and other table foods should be avoided during Christmas and New Year's. Eating unfamiliar foods can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal upset.

Fireworks

Happy New Year! Some celebrations include fireworks to mark the passing of one year and greet a new one with a boom! Keep in mind that not all animals do well with loud noises. Fireworks and banging pots can send animals into a panic. Bach Flowers and essential oils are great ways to help pets handle stress and provide relief during loud celebrations.

Weather

Brrr, it's getting cold out there! Be prepared for outside dangers as the weather gets colder and winter comes at us full force. Paws are sensitive and certain salt or other ice melts can be toxic to them. By using a pet safe salt and protecting their paws, you can help to avoid an emergency trip to the vet. And if you have a pet who loves to play in the snow, keep an eye on them as they can't really let you know when they are cold and need to come inside the house. A great way to help your pet warm up after a cold session of playtime is a serving of Bone Broth.

Thinking ahead and having a few simple remedies on hand can help avoid holiday hazards. Stop in to get stocked up and be prepared for whatever the season holds!

 

 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Be the first to comment...

Leave a comment
* Your email address will not be published
* Required fields
Free Shipping Over $49
Satisfaction Guarantee
Made In The USA Products
Free Return Policy
By using our website, you agree to the use of cookies. These cookies help us understand how customers arrive at and use our site and help us make improvements. Hide this message More on cookies »