There are a few common reasons for dogs and cats to become nervous and create anxiety. Learn more about different types of anxiousness here.
Do you often find a fearful or anxious look in your pet’s eyes? The reason for your pet’s anxiousness may not seem apparent, but it is something you can help alleviate.
There are a few common reasons for dogs and cats to become nervous and pet parents must understand them so they can effectively find a solution to the problem(s) and help their pets have a happier, healthier lifestyle! Some pets experience behavioral nervousness, while others have situational nervousness.
7 Causes For Anxiety In Cats & Dogs:
- New home environment
- Changes in or around the home
- Loud noises
- Separation anxiety
- Grooming or vet appointments
Once you pinpoint what causes your pet’s nervousness and anxiety it’s easier to figure out what practices and supplements might aid them in getting better.
3 Easy Ways To Help Reduce Anxiety In Pets:
- Creating a distraction for your pet is a great way to relieve nervousness and anxiety. Immersing their mind in practicing tricks and playing with puzzle toys will help them focus on something they know rather than the unknown. Below are a few items you can find at The Pet Beastro to help keep your pet distracted.
Distractions help your pets associate frightful incidents with high-value rewards, resulting in less intimidating moments.
- Music is an effortless and inexpensive way to help your stressed pet. Whether you use your tv, radio, or another electronic device, it is easy to find soothing music to keep your pet calm and collected. It is recommended to play some form of classical music as opposed to rock or metal music. Leaving music on for your pet is beneficial in cases of separation anxiety when spending time in a crate and during travel or bad weather.
- Exercise is another great option to help ease your pet’s stress and nervousness. Just like with humans, exercise releases endorphins such as serotonin which helps with mood, feelings of well-being, and happiness. Walking, running, hiking, swimming or any form of physical activity are significant ways to help reduce your pet's stress and anxiety.
4 Hemp Products To Reduce Anxiety in Cats & Dogs:
Yes, hemp oil can help reduce anxiety in pets. Cannabidiol (CBD) from the Hemp plant has been known to assist in alleviating stress with people and pets. There are various scientific studies showing the positive outcomes of hemp for a slew of health conditions—including discomfort and promoting calmness. When cannabidiol enters a mammal’s endocannabinoid system, specific receptors found throughout the body are activated. These are the only receptors in the body that allows for 2-way communication between body systems. Essentially, cannabinoids from the hemp plant make it easier for the body to calm down and promote relaxation because receptors in the endocannabinoid system can now “speak” to each other.
The Pet Beastro has a variety of hemp oils and treats to choose from that can be shopped in-store or online!
6 Calming Supplements For Pets:
Some pets have stress & anxiety that is more severe than others. Sometimes pet parents have to use a variety of products and supplements to find the right mixture to calm their pet. While hemp products can certainly be one answer, immediate calming supplements can also provide relief to any anxiousness. Below are some options you can find at The Pet Beastro.
- Earth Animal Calmness
- AromaDog Chill Out
- Nootie Calming Chews
- Herbsmith Calm Shen
- Earth Animal Emotional Balance
- Dr. Harvey’s Relax
If your dog or cat is suffering from general anxiety or stress and is not sure where to start, stop into our Madison Heights, Michigan Retail Store, and our knowledgeable associates will be more than happy to point you in the right direction to help your pet! Or give us a call at 248-548-3448 and visit our online natural pet food, treats, toys, and supply store for more information.