Ocean Wise seafood is a conservation program that makes it easy for consumers to choose sustainable seafood for the long term health of our oceans.
Over one billion people depend on seafood as their primary source of protein. However, overfishing is one of the biggest threats facing our oceans today. Roughly 90 percent of the world’s fish stocks are now fully fished or overfished according to the most recent report by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). This leaves just 10 percent of fish stocks underfished – a number that has decreased almost continuously since 1974.
Per capita fish consumption has been on the rise since the 1960s – when it averaged 9.9kg – to over 20kg in 2014. As the global population continues to grow, the need for sustainable and healthy protein sources is key and seafood will play an important role. Resources from our world’s oceans are not as unlimited as we once thought. Choosing to eat Ocean Wise recommended sustainable seafood helps to relieve the pressure on overfished species and ensures that we will be able to continue to enjoy seafood for generations to come. Look for the Ocean Wise symbol when buying seafood to ensure you’re making the best choice for our oceans.
Ocean Wise’s recommendations are based on 4 criteria. An Ocean Wise recommended species is:
1. Abundant and resilient to fishing pressures.
2. Well managed with a comprehensive management plan based on current research.
3. Harvested in a method that ensures limited bycatch on non-target and endangered species.
4. Harvested in ways that limit damage to marine or aquatic habitats and negative interactions with other species.
Ocean Wise’s classification system is based on two categories: Ocean Wise or Not Recommended, simply a good or bad choice for our oceans. Species are regularly updated or reclassified with the latest scientific information. Classifications, including changes to and Ocean Wise recommendations, are provided regularly to Ocean Wise partners. Learn more about our recommendation policy or find a sustainable seafood option.
Here at The Pet Beastro, we're huge supporters of sustainability and look for brands that support these efforts. Open Farm is one of our favorites, an Ocean Wise® partner.
- They have a catch-of-the-season style fish selection based on seasonal abundance and availability.
- Their wild-caught fish is sourced in accordance with the most up-to-date sustainability standards by Ocean Wise®.
- They employ fishing methods that minimize bycatch, protect the marine environment and ocean floor.
- They support fisheries using environmentally sustainable fishing practices.
Make a conscious and responsible choice when selecting your pet's food.