Spring is in the air and with that allergies for our pets. New blooms and sunshine can trigger seasonal allergies for both humans and pets. Read on to find natural products that can help you combat those allergies.
Spring is just around the corner and you know what that means...allergies! While springtime in Michigan means we say goodbye to the snow and cold weather and hello to new blooms and sunshine it can also trigger seasonal allergies for us and yes... even our furry companions!
Signs of Allergies In Cats & Dogs
Sneezing, coughing, watery and itchy eyes and a runny nose can all be signs of your pet's respiratory system reacting to the change in season. However, some pets may also experience these symptoms topically by itching and biting the skin or even rashes that may appear on the body.
What Causes Allergies In Cats & Dogs?
Allergies happen when your dog’s immune system overreacts to something in their environment. This can be known as a “trigger.” That trigger could be something like pollen, grass, new blooms, etc. The antibodies in your dog’s immune system identify these substances as dangerous although they may not be.
Natural Ways To Help Allergies In My Cat Or Dog?
Various supplements and herbs can play a key role in helping your pet combat these allergy symptoms as the season & temperatures begin to change. Below are some top choices from fans and staff at The Pet Beastro…
- Bee Pollen: A mix of pollen collected by bees and enzymes from bees themselves can help to desensitize your dog or cat to the pollen being collected by the bees.
- Probiotics: Probiotics help generate good bacteria into your pet’s microbiome (gut), thus helping create a healthy immune system. A healthy gut can assist with fewer respiratory and skin allergies.
- Raw Goat’s Milk: Assists with balancing the histamine levels in the body.
- Ester-C: a body-ready form of vitamin c that boosts the immune system in order to assist with allergy relief.
- Herbsmith’s Clear AllerQi: a blend of heat-draining herbs to help cool the skin and cope with allergic reactions.
- Nature’s Sunshine Supplements:
- Earth Animal Allergy & Skin: a relieving, organic herbal blend that helps maintain healthy skin and soothes skin-related issues associated with seasonal allergies. It also aids in calming irritations of the skin caused by insect bites. Flower essences are also added to aid the emotional component and counterpart of allergies.
- Earth Animal Cough, Wheeze & Sneeze: an organic herbal blend that supports respiratory function and healthy circulation during seasons of change.
Small Changes Make A Big Difference
Feeding fresh, raw foods is another way to boost your pet’s gut health and improve their immunity to allergy triggers.
When the seasons and temperatures begin to change keep in mind that you can also make small changes around your household to help you and your pets;
- Change your furnace filter often so fewer allergies are in the air of your home.
- When you vacuum, put your pet in a separate room as dust and pollen can cause a spike in irritation.
- Take a damp cloth or towel and wipe your pet down to help with the removal of allergens that are on their skin and fur.
Remember that every dog & cat allergy symptoms can differ from one another. If you are unsure about where to start, you can always stop in-store or give us a call to answer any questions you may have related to your pet’s seasonal allergy symptoms.